- Both Men and Women
- Prize Money
With title sponsor New Balance back this year, the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile opens a beautiful 20-block stretch of 5th Avenue to runners of all ages and abilities who want to run their best mile in New York City. Special races include a youth mile, the George Sheehan Memorial Mile for runners age 60 and over, the New Balance FuelCell Media Mile, the NYRR Road Mile Championships, and Olympic-caliber professional men's and women's races.
Event hashtag: #NB5thAveMile—use it in your tweets and Instagram posts!
Rising New York Road Runners Event
This year, all participants ages 18 and under are invited to run for free with Rising New York Road Runners at the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile in celebration of 20 years of free youth running at New York Road Runners.
Photos will be captured and provided by Gameface a couple of days following the race. Visit https://www.gamefacemedia.com/find-my-photo-assistance/ and search the race name to receive access to your photos. Digital copies may be downloaded for free courtesy of Strava. Sign into your Strava account to view and download your photos.
Numbers (which include your timing tag) and souvenirs may be picked up at the NYRR RUNCENTER on the following dates. Please note: The NYRR RUNCENTER will be closed on Monday, September 2 for Labor Day.
- Saturday, August 24, 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, August 25, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 26, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 27, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 28, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 29, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 30, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 31, 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 1, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 3, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 4, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 5, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 6, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 7, 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m.
If you're unable to pick up your race materials, a friend or family member can pick up for you; the person will need your QR code (printed or digitally). This policy is in effect only for our weekly races, not for the TCS New York City Marathon.
The start is on 5th Avenue near East 80th Street. You'll run south, and you can check your progress by looking at the digital clocks at every quarter-mile mark.
First quarter-mile (to 75th Street): The race begins on a slight downhill.
Second quarter-mile (to 70th Street): This segment features a slight uphill.
Third quarter-mile (to 65th Street): There's another gentle downhill in this segment.
Fourth quarter-mile (to 60th Street): The final five blocks are on a flat surface.