Updated dates are coming soon for the 9+1 program for the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon.
To qualify for guaranteed entry to the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon through the 9+1 program, runners must:
- Complete nine scored, qualifying races between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Volunteer at one NYRR event between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 (you may volunteer before completing your nine races)
- Have an active NYRR membership by December 31, 2019
- Apply for guaranteed entry to the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon (information available in late 2019)
- The application period for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon is open from January 30, 2020, through February 13, 2020.
Rules and Restrictions
Volunteering in 2019 satisfies the volunteering requirement for the 2020 marathon only—not the 2019 marathon.
* Volunteering on race day (November 3, 2019) at the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon does not count toward the 9+1 guaranteed entry requirements, except for volunteer opportunities at the start area.
* Volunteering at a race-week activity (such as the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance or the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K) does fulfill your volunteer requirement.
* Volunteering to fulfill your 2020 +1 requirement must be completed by December 31, 2019—no exceptions.
* You may send a substitute to volunteer on your behalf and still meet your 9+1 requirement. The runner needing the +1 credit should register for the volunteer opportunity and the substitute should check in and serve on your behalf on race day. The substitute must be 18 years old or older.
* You are not permitted to volunteer at the same race that you are running. If you attempt to do so, you will not receive credit for volunteering or for the race.
* Most volunteer shifts are a commitment of 4-5 hours. You must be prepared to help out during the whole shift for which you are scheduled and fulfill your volunteer duties as described. You will forfeit your volunteer credit if you do not complete your service or if you engage in inappropriate behavior.
We highly recommend volunteering in the first half of the year, before you have completed your nine races. We have many volunteer spots available early in the year—especially at our winter races—but spots quickly fill up later in the year as many runners rush to fulfill their requirements by December 31.
Although you are only required to volunteer once, you are encouraged to give back to the NYRR community regularly.
If you have any questions about fulfilling your +1 credit or volunteering with NYRR, or if you'd like to suggest a community partner organization, please contact us at email@example.com.