Travel and Lodging
Traveling to New York and finding a great place to stay is easy with New York Road Runners' travel partners. Plan your Big Apple trip in comfort and style—you'll be more relaxed on race day.
Our Official Airline and Foundation Partner, United Airlines®, is proud to support runners' journeys—no matter where their final destinations are—with over 140 worldwide routes from the New York area. Visit united.com to book your flight today. fly the friendly skies™.
As the Official Travel Partner of New York Road Runners, Anthony Travel offers marathoners discounted accommodations at 25+ hotel options located in the heart of New York City, including rooms at the host hotels New York Hilton Midtown and Sheraton New York Times Square. Guests save an average of $90+ per night and gain access to special perks and upgraded amenities when they book through Anthony Travel. Visit the Anthony Travel TCS New York City Marathon website or call a sports travel expert at 800-736-6377 to book your trip to the Big Apple today!
Experience everything the five boroughs have to offer while you're in town for the TCS New York City Marathon! Visit nycgo.com for official information about the restaurants, shops, and attractions that can be found in the neighborhoods along the course.
Registration to select transportation to the start of the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon will open in summer 2020. Options will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis so we can safely manage the flow of runners.
Runners who did not register for transportation during the registration window can visit the Runner Support Center at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance for transportation registration (limited options).
- Transportation is for race participants only. Spectators are not allowed at the start.
- Your transportation choice will be printed on your race number. On race day, please take your assigned transportation.
- If you are registering for the marathon through an official International Tour Operator (ITO), please connect with your ITO manager to confirm the transportation selection process.
Please visit our Help Center or the Runner Support Center at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance for more information.
It is important that you take your assigned transportation to the start on race day. Whether you are making the journey by bus or ferry to Staten Island, opting to travel at a time you are not assigned for means you are impacting the capacity of that transport. That affects the safety of other runners, our staff, volunteers, and city transit partners. We appreciate your cooperation in helping the event run as smoothly as possible.
Official Transportation Options
- Staten Island Ferry
- Departure Location: Whitehall Terminal, Manhattan
- Whitehall Terminal is accessible by several MTA subway and bus routes. The free ferry transports runners to St. George Terminal on Staten Island, from which free buses transport runners to Fort Wadsworth.
- Midtown Manhattan Bus
- Departure Location: New York Public Library, Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street
- Buses transport runners directly to Fort Wadsworth. The New York Public Library is centrally located and accessible by many subway and bus routes.
- New Jersey Bus
- Departure Location: MetLife Stadium Parking Lot K, by the Quest Diagnostics Training Center
- Buses transport runners from MetLife Stadium Parking Lot K directly to Fort Wadsworth. There is no parking at this location
Please note the following about private vehicles, including private buses:
- Drop-off will be on Lily Pond Avenue, outside Fort Wadsworth. There is no parking.
- The walk from the drop-off area to the start villages is approximately one half mile.
- Private vehicles arriving from New Jersey must drop off runners and clear the Staten Island Expressway by 7:00 a.m. when the expressway will close to vehicles.
The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge will close to all traffic at 7:00 a.m.
Registration to select your baggage option for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon is closed. Options were filled on a first-come, first-served basis so we can safely manage the post-race flow of runners.
If you registered for the marathon through an International Tour Operator (ITO), please connect with your respective ITO manager to confirm the baggage-option selection process.
Watch a helpful video about the bag-check and post-race poncho options and processes at the TCS New York City Marathon.
Please visit our Help Center for more information.
Option 1: Post-Race Poncho
If you choose this option:
- You will not check a bag at the start.
- At the finish, you will exit Central Park approximately one-half mile from the finish line.
- You will receive an insulated, waterproof, and wind-resistant poncho after you exit the park.
We recommend the post-race poncho option for runners who:
- Are experienced in running marathons and understand the post-finish experience.
- Do not need specific items at the start.
- Can have friends or family members meet them in Family Reunion, or live or have accommodation in or near NYC.
Your race number will identify you as a post-race poncho runner. You’ll receive a Start Village bag, which you may bring to the start, but not check. No other bags, and no backpacks, will be permitted in Fort Wadsworth. Items that you bring to the start must be either disposed of or donated to Goodwill Industries at the start, or taken with you. Please review our security measures and prohibited items.
Most post-race poncho runners will exit Central Park 20-30 minutes after they cross the finish line. The finish and post-finish areas are for runners only, due to security restrictions. Please note: Runners with medication needs may make arrangements with our Medical Director to check these items at the start and have them safely and securely transported to the finish. No narcotics (including prescription painkillers and Tylenol with codeine) or medications that require refrigeration can be accepted. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Option 2: Bag Check
If you choose or are assigned this option:
- You may check a bag at the start for transport to the finish on a UPS truck
- At the finish, you’ll retrieve your bag and exit Central Park approximately three-quarters of a mile or one mile from the finish line, depending on your race number.
We recommend the bag-check option for runners who:
- Need or want specific items at the start.
- Are not able to have friends or family members meet them at or near Family Reunion, or do not live or have accommodation in or near NYC.
- Are new to the marathon and the post-finish experience of major races.
Your race number will identify you as a bag-check runner. You’ll receive a UPS bag and a sticker with your race number; the bag will be large enough to hold shoes, warm clothing, and small personal items. You’ll check the bag, with sticker affixed, at the start. No other bags, and no backpacks, will be permitted in Fort Wadsworth. Please review our security measures and prohibited items.
Most bag-check runners exit Central Park 30-60 minutes after crossing the finish line. The finish and post-finish areas are for runners only, due to security restrictions. Please note: If you choose bag check, and decide not to bring a bag on race day, you are still required to exit Central Park via the bag-check exits, not the post-race poncho exit, and you will not receive a poncho.
Questions? Visit our Help Center.