As part of our mission to help and inspire people through running, New York Road Runners offers a limited number of complimentary race entries through Race Free, an initiative that provides race fee assistance for NYRR races.
Eligibility is based on income. Applicants are asked to provide household income and other information; all applicant information is confidential.
How to Apply
The application is now available year round and we encourage you to apply at any time. You will be notified by email within one week of applying.
How Does It Work?
1. Submit your online application.
2. Within one week of submission you will receive an email notifying you whether you have been accepted into the program.
3. If you are accepted into the program, you will need to create an account (if you do not already have one.)
4. Drawings for complimentary race entry will be held every other month. Please see the schedule below.
5. Participants who are selected in the drawing will be notified by email and given a unique invitation code to register for the race.
6. All participants will be automatically included in each drawing, except for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon drawing, which will require an opt-in via a survey that will be emailed.
All Weekly Races:
February 3, 2020: Drawing for May - June races
April 6, 2020: Drawing for July - August races
June 1, 2020: Drawing for September - October races
August 17, 2020: Drawing for November - December races
United Airlines NYC Half
Drawing: October 22, 2019
Popular® Brooklyn Half
Drawing: January 9, 2020
All Race Free participants will be notified immediately whether they have been selected, so those not selected will still have the opportunity to enter the general drawing for the race.
2020 TCS New York City Marathon
Drawing: Postponed to January 30, 2020
The survey to opt into the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon drawing will be emailed out on December 16, 2019. All Race Free participants will be notified immediately whether they have been selected, so those not selected will still have the opportunity to enter the general drawing for the race.