The safety and security of runners, volunteers, spectators and staff is New York Road Runners' highest priority. At the TCS New York City Marathon, we are fortunate to work in close collaboration with the NYPD and our federal, state, and city agency partners to ensure the safety of all of our events. Runners should also be aware of their surroundings and if they see an unattended object or people that may look out of place to call it to the attention of the nearest race official or law enforcement officer. Additionally, to ensure the safest event environment possible, runners should familiarize themselves with our guidelines for prohibited items.
There are a number of visible security measures in place, as well as several behind-the-scenes security elements. It is New York Road Runners' goal to be sure that we are implementing the needed security features while causing minimal impact on your race-week experience.
All bags and items entering TCS New York City Marathon venues and events are subject to inspection by New York Road Runners, contracted private security personnel, venue personnel, and the NYPD. To speed access and avoid longer lines, we strongly recommend not bringing a bag. Please see the list of items that are prohibited to runners, as well as to spectators in venue areas.
Venues that will have some type of inspection/restrictions will include, but will not be limited to:
- TCS New York City Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines. Delegates marching in the Parade of Nations will not be able to march with bags. Spectators (standing and in bleachers) carrying bags will be subject to bag inspection. We suggest one bag per guest, no larger than a woman's purse.
- TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance, TCS New York City Marathon Eve Dinner, Blue Line Lounge presented by Tata Consultancy Services at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion. Any person entering these venues will be subject to bag inspection. To speed your access, we strongly recommend that you do not bring a bag. However, you may bring one bag per guest, no larger than a woman's purse.
- Grandstand Seating, Family Reunion, and All Spectator Locations in Central Park and on Central Park West. Spectators with bags in any Central Park or Central Park West location will be subject to baggage inspection before entering the area. Please note that some entry points will be on Broadway. We suggest not bringing any bags if possible and limiting the size and number of necessary bags. Please note that no strollers, carts, or coolers will be allowed.
In order to ensure the safety of all participants, spectators, and partners at New York Road Runners events, a number of items are prohibited at the TCS New York City Marathon and at other events held during race week and on race day. All bags and items entering TCS New York City Marathon venues and events are subject to inspection by NYRR, contracted private security personnel, venue personnel, and the NYPD.
- Weapons of any kind, including firearms, knives, Mace, etc.
- Dangerous items or “dual-use” items that could be considered dangerous, including hammers, saws, sharp objects, umbrellas, poles, sticks, etc. .
- Flammable liquids, aerosols, fuels, fireworks, toxic chemicals, and explosives
- Large packages, coolers, tents, and lean-tos
- Duvets, sleeping bags, and large blankets or comforters
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances of any kind
- Unmanned aerial devices, drones, survey balloons, photography mini-copters, and any flying device with an on/off switch
- Opaque trash bags and any non-transparent plastic bags (Clear trash bags are allowed.)
- Animals/pets (except service animals to aid a person with a disability; if you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Folding chairs, camp chairs, and tables of any kind
- Glass containers
- Containers of liquid larger than one liter
- Chemical compounds, or biological agents that could be considered toxic
- Backpacks, suitcases, rolling bags, or any other similar bags other than the official NYRR clear bag check bag
- Camelbaks® and any type of hydration backpack (Fuel belts and hand-held water bottles are allowed.)
- Weight vests and any vests with multiple pockets, especially those that can be used as a water reservoir
- Costumes that cover the face and any bulky outfits that extend beyond the perimeter of the body (Form-fitting outfits are allowed.)
- Props, including flagpoles, sporting equipment, military and fire gear, and signs larger than 11”x17”
- Selfie-sticks and any camera mount or rig that isn’t attached directly to the head or torso
Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated as we enhance and expand our security efforts to make your TCS New York City Marathon experience safe and enjoyable.
The use of drones or other unmanned aerial devices in and around all TCS New York City Marathon events and venues is strictly prohibited and a violation of New York City law. Persons found operating drones for photography, videography, or any other purpose may be subject to criminal summons.
We are lucky in New York City to have some of the world's best law enforcement partners in our corner. Still, we can all play a role in keeping our community safe. If you see something suspicious taking place on or before race day, make sure to report that behavior or activity to local law enforcement or race officials; in the case of emergency, call 911.
Thank you for attention to these very important matters. We will continue to keep everyone apprised of any new information. We can't wait to see you on race day!