Public and media invited to vote for one of six professional athlete finalists, selected based on their NYRR race performances over the past year
New York, December 4, 2019 — New York Road Runners has announced six professional athletes as finalists for the 2019 NYRR Pro Performer of the Year who are being recognized for their outstanding achievements at NYRR races in 2019. The public and media are welcome to vote for the NYRR Pro Performer of the Year through 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday, December 13.
The public can now vote at NYRR.org/PPOTY.
The finalists for the award are listed below and have been chosen based off their performances at the following NYRR races in the NYRR Pro Racing Series: NYRR Wanamaker Mile, United Airlines NYC Half, UAE Healthy Kidney 10K, NYRR New York Mini 10K and USATF 10 km Championships, New Balance 5th Avenue Mile, Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K and USATF 5 km Championships, and TCS New York City Marathon.
- Joyciline Jepkosgei (Kenya): She won the TCS New York City Marathon in her marathon debut, recording the second-fastest time ever in history in 2:22:38. She also won the United Airlines NYC Half in her first trip to the United States.
- Geoffrey Kamworor (Kenya): He won his second TCS New York City Marathon title in three years and has now made the podium in all four of his appearances at the event.
- Daniel Romanchuk (USA): At just 21 years old, he won his second consecutive TCS New York City Marathon and first United Airlines NYC Half title.
- Manuela Schär (Switzerland): She won her third consecutive TCS New York City Marathon in 1:44:20 – the second-fastest time in event history – which marked her ninth straight Abbott World Marathon Majors victory. She also finished as runner-up at the United Airlines NYC Half.
- Jenny Simpson (USA): She won her seventh consecutive and record-extending eighth title overall at the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile in an event-record time of 4:16.1.
- Nick Willis (New Zealand): He won his record-breaking fifth title in a photo finish at the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile, surpassing Isaac Viciosia of Spain for the most career wins in on the men’s side at the event.
The public vote will account for one-third of the final tally, the media will account for one third, and an NYRR committee will account for one third. The 2019 NYRR Pro Performer of the Year will be announced the week of December 16.
About New York Road Runners (NYRR)
NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire people through running. Since 1958, New York Road Runners has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s commitment to New York City’s five boroughs features races, community events, free youth running initiatives and school programs, the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub, and training resources that provide hundreds of thousands of people each year, from children to seniors, with the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to Run for Life. NYRR’s premier event, and the largest marathon in the world, is the TCS New York City Marathon. Held annually on the first Sunday in November, the race features 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to a vast range of competitive, recreational, and charity runners. To learn more, visit www.nyrr.org.