Are you thinking about running the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon in November, or perhaps just a bit curious? Here’s a quick guide to what you need to know—plus a few fun and fascinating facts and figures.
When and where is it?
The 50th running of the TCS New York City Marathon will take place Sunday, November 1, 2020, throughout the five boroughs of NYC. The start is on Staten Island and the finish is at Tavern on the Green in Central Park.
How can I run it?
The period to apply for the drawing or claim guaranteed entry is January 30 at 12:00 noon ET to February 13 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The drawing is set for February 26. You can skip the drawing and guarantee your entry right now by registering to run with NYRR Team for Kids. After the drawing, registration will open to run with over 420 Official Charity Partners.
When and how did it start?
The first New York City Marathon took place in 1970, founded and organized by New York Road Runners. The course was four-plus loops of Central Park, and just 55 people finished out of 127 who registered and paid the $1 entry fee. This year will be very special as we celebrate the 50th anniversary and the 50th running!
How many people run it?
The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest marathon in the world, with more than 53,000 finishers from 142 countries in 2019. To date, more than 1.2 million people have finished the race!
What makes it special?
Marathoners come from all over the world to run the spectacular course through five boroughs and over five bridges, cheered on by over one million spectators and viewed by a huge global broadcast audience. The TCS New York City Marathon is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, a series consisting of six of the largest and most renowned marathons in the world.
How many finishers are first-timers?
In 2019, about 23% of finishers identified themselves as first-time marathoners, and about 62% said they were running their first TCS New York City Marathon.
How do people train to run 26.2 miles?
New York Road Runners offers lots of training options:
- NYRR Virtual Training Program—Prepare to run the TCS New York City Marathon with our 20-, 16-, and 12-week programs, providing you expert insights and training plans just for you.
- NYRR Group Training—In NYC, runners of all levels can find coaching, camaraderie, and inspiration with small-group coached workouts throughout the five boroughs.
- NYRR 1:1 Coaching—A personal coach in NYC can guide you to becoming a faster, more confident, and stronger marathoner, no matter what your current fitness level
- NYRR Coaching Lab—Experience the powerful combination of expert coaches and a motivational community through this new virtual training option, no matter where in the world you are.
- NYRR Team for Kids and other Official Charity Partners also offer virtual and hands-on training options for runners who commit to run and fundraise at the TCS New York City Marathon.
If I don’t get in (or decide not to run this year), can I volunteer?
Yes—volunteer registration is open now for 10,000 race-day volunteer spots. Volunteers are encouraged to sign up early to get the volunteer role of their choice.