- Youth Races – Stage 1
Calling all youth cross-country fans! Ever find yourself searching for a fun cross-country event during the spring? Look no further! Join us in the Bronx at Van Cortlandt Park for fitness activities and a spring cross-country run. This event is open to all stages and ability levels, so bring the whole family out to have some fun and to get moving!
The chart below is a guide to the stages available at this event. Use the chart to determine the appropriate stage for your child. If you need help determining your child's stage, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Stage||Ages||Event Type||Register If...|
|1||2 to 11||
Untimed shorter distances
|Your child is new to physical activity or running, but likes playing games and being active.|
|2||8 to 18||
Untimed medium distances
|Your child likes running, but isn’t ready for a competitive event. Your child likes playing games and being active.|
|3||12 to 18||
Timed longer distances
|Your child is comfortable running a longer distance and racing other kids in a competitive setting.|
|Stage 3 Boys and Girls||9:00 a.m.||
|All stages - Activities Open||9:30 a.m.||
|Stage 1 Boys and Girls||10:00 a.m.||Varies by age|
|Stage 2 Girls||10:00 a.m.||1.5 miles|
|Stage 2 Boys||10:20 a.m.||1.5 miles|
This event's activities begin at 9:00 a.m. and will include a selection of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Stepping Stones: Work on balance by hopping from spot to spot.
- Shuttle Relays: 50-meter relays where participants practice speed and coordination.
- Beanbag Toss: Toss beanbags at targets to improve throwing strength and technique.
- Fitness Tag: Play tag while completing fitness challenges.
- Day at the Zoo: Practice fundamental movement skills by imitating animal movements.
- Foot Fire: Undergo footwork drills to improve speed and coordination.
- Hoop Target Practice: Toss beanbags into targets to improve throwing strength and technique.
- Mission Possible: Undergo team challenges to complete a mission.
- Red Light, Green Light: Run varying speeds according the colors of traffic lights.
- Obstacle Course: Run, jump, climb, and hop through a course of various challenges.
Kids Can Visit the Intrepid Museum for Free
On event days, your child’s Rising New York Road Runners bib will get them free admission to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, with the purchase of a full-priced adult ticket. Just present your race bib at the Intrepid’s box office to receive this offer.
Numbers (which include a timing tag for Stage 3) may be picked up at the NYRR RUNCENTER at 320 West 57th Street (between Eighth and Ninth avenues) on the following dates:
- Sunday, March 31, 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 1, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 2, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 3, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 4, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 5, 7:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
Show the QR code from your confirmation email or your NYRR account to pick up your materials. Please pick up during the week to avoid crowds on event day. Numbers will be available on event day from 7:30 to 10:00 a.m. Event-day lines may impact your ability to get to the start on time.
New Balance water bottles, the souvenir for this event, will be available for pickup on race day only at Race-Day Central and are subject to availability.
Stage 1: Short dash races of distances based on age will take place in the center of the Parade Grounds.
Stage 2: Run one 1.5-mile loop around the Flats, starting at the north end of the Parade Grounds and ending at the traditional Van Cortlandt Park finish line near the Tortoise and the Hare statue.
Stage 3: Run two loops starting at the north end of the Parade grounds, heading south into the lower hills, and ending at the traditional Van Cortlandt Park finish line on the 2nd loop.
Follow The MTA's Weekender schedule to plan your event-day transportation.
If you bike to the event, please follow our bike parking guidelines.
All information is subject to change.
All finishers will receive a ribbon. Top finishers in Stage 3 heats will be given podium awards.