New York, January 30, 2020 – New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization, announced that the application for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon entry drawing will open today. This year’s race takes place on Sunday, November 1, and marks the 50th anniversary of one of the most anticipated and iconic annual sporting events in New York City, drawing fans and runners of all ages and abilities from around the world. This milestone will be recognized in a year-long celebration honoring the marathon’s history and the impact it has had on New York City and millions of people around the world.
Last year, a record-breaking 117,915 runners applied for entry through the drawing with 10,510 runners accepted into the marathon through this method. The 2020 entry application window, January 30 through February 13, is open to runners ages 18 and older and limited to one entry per person. Additionally, during this window, runners who earned guaranteed entry must claim their spot.
“This will be a monumental year as we celebrate 50 years of this historic, global race. The first Sunday in November is renowned as a day when the entire city comes together and welcomes the world to our streets and neighborhoods,” said Michael Capiraso, president and CEO of NYRR. “Now, 50 years from when it all started, we get to celebrate the legacy and impact the race has had on so many. Through five boroughs and multiple generations, the TCS New York City Marathon has united people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds for one of New York City’s best days, reflecting the passion, excitement, and spirit of this great city.”
By visiting tcsnycmarathon.org, runners can apply for free for a chance to gain entry to the largest marathon in the world. The entry drawing calendar includes the following dates:
Important Dates for Runners
- January 30: Application for the entry drawing opens at 12:00 p.m. EST
- February 13: Application window closes at 11:59 p.m. EST
- February 26: Drawing takes place and runners are notified of their entry status
If runners do not receive entry through the drawing, they can still obtain entry to the TCS New York City Marathon in the following ways:
- Run for NYRRs Team for Kids: Runners receive a guaranteed spot in the race by registering to run for NYRRs Team for Kids. Team for Kids is the TCS New York City Marathon’s largest charity and raises funds for NYRR’s free youth running programs.
- Run for an Official Charity Partner: The NYRR Official Charity Partner Program offers an opportunity for nonprofit organizations to raise funds to support their missions and services. Participating charities can offer guaranteed entry to runners who fundraise on their behalf. A full list of the Official Charity Partnersfor the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon will be available on February 26, the date of the drawing.
- Run with an International Tour Operator: For those who live outside the United States, guaranteed entry along with the purchase of a "Marathon Package” may be available through an official International Tour Operator (ITO). International runners who reside in countries that do not have an ITO may purchase a Marathon Package from an ITO in another country.
Runners who earned guaranteed entry through the following methods need to claim their entry by the February 13 deadline:
- Participation in NYRR’s 9+1 program in 2019: The 9+1 program allows NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry by completing nine scored, qualifying races and serving as a volunteer at one NYRR event. Runners must have completed their 9+1 program requirements toward the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon by December 31, 2019.
- Completion of 15 or more New York City Marathons: Runners who have completed 15 or more New York City Marathons receive guaranteed entry in future years.
- NYRR Virtual Racing: Runners who finished specific tiers and levels of the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon Virtual 26.2M, and met fundraising requirements, are eligible to apply for guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon. Information can be found at this link.
- Qualifying by time: Applicants who met the time standards at one of the following NYRR races in 2019 are eligible for guaranteed entry in 2020: 2019 NYRR Fred Lebow Half Marathon, 2019 United Airlines NYC Half, 2019 SHAPE Women's Half-Marathon, 2019 Popular Brooklyn Half, 2019 NYRR Staten Island Half, and 2019 TCS New York City Marathon. A limited number of time-qualifier spots are available to runners who met the time standards in a non-NYRR race. These spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Qualifying standards can be found at this link.
- Canceling entry to the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon: Entrants who officially canceled their entry to the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon are eligible for guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2020 race. Entrants who cancel their entry in consecutive years are not eligible for guaranteed entry after the second consecutive cancellation.
Last year, 53,640 runners crossed the TCS New York City Marathon finish line, making it the largest marathon in the world. Since the inaugural marathon in 1970, there have been 1,283,020 total finishers in New York City Marathon history.
A special-edition drawing “50 for the 50th" was held during last year’s marathon to celebrate the upcoming milestone year. Fifty runners were selected as the first runners accepted into the race. Applicants who were not among the 50 runners selected are automatically entered into this drawing.
For more information and to apply for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon, visit tcsnycmarathon.org.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest marathon in the world and the signature event of New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization. The race is held annually on the first Sunday of November and includes over 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to runners of all ages and abilities, including over 9,000 charity runners. Participants from over 125 countries tour the diverse neighborhoods of New York City’s five boroughs—Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan. Race morning also features the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon, a race within Central Park that ends at the marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and 10,000 volunteers line the city’s streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the globally televised broadcast. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 50th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 1, 2020. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.
About Abbott World Marathon Majors
The TCS New York City Marathon is a founding member of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York.