Augmented Reality Features in ‘TCS New York City Marathon App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services’ Unlocks Messages from Shalane Flanagan
The Only App Offering Mile-by-Mile Run Tracking
New York, October 23, 2019 – New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization, in collaboration with its title sponsor and leading IT services and consulting firm, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), today launched the official race app for this year’s TCS New York City Marathon. With its extensive enhancements, the award-winning app creates a best-in-class experience for runners and spectators at the world’s most technologically advanced marathon, occurring on November 3.
Spectators will have the ability to track their runner’s mile-by-mile through the most accurate and precise tracking technology on the TCS New York City Marathon App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services. The app is an indispensable tool for runners and fans in New York and all over the world. The app will feature an immersive experience through its interactive spectator guide, voice-activation, cheer cards, and race-week maps.
Augmented reality will be integrated into several experiences to surprise and delight runners leading up to and during the marathon. Runners will have the ability to unlock special messages on their race bib from 2017 TCS New York City Marathon champion Shalane Flanagan. Additionally, weeks ahead of the race a giant 16' x 39' mural with augmented reality features was erected in Brooklyn to excite fans and celebrate the five boroughs.
“Working together with our partners at TCS, we continuously aim to make the TCS New York City Marathon the most technologically advanced race in the world,” said Michael Capiraso, president and CEO of NYRR. “We are excited to bring these new features and augmented reality to create an interactive experience as well as stay at the forefront of utilizing technology in our industry.”
“This is our sixth year as title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon, working alongside NYRR to digitally transform the world’s greatest marathon experience,” said Surya Kant, President of North America, UK and Europe, TCS. “This year will be no different, such as the award-winning race app, Sprint to Win video game and augmented reality activations. We are incredibly proud of the impact we’ve seen over the years, including our year-round efforts to encourage more children and their families to lead healthy lifestyles, both in New York and across the globe.”
The following are enhancements leading up to and during the race:
- Mile-by-Mile Tracking: Spectators will be able to track their family, friends, pro athletes, and celebrities at each mile of the race through the app. This enhanced tracking will create the most accurate opportunities to catch runners on the course. Post-race, the tracker will allow runners and fans to review and analyze their mile splits - including every mile starting at mile 3, in addition to 5K splits.
- Share Tracking: This new ‘feature on the Runner Details page allows users to share a link that initiates an automatic app download with a specific runner already selected to be tracked during the race.
- Unlimited Tracking: Spectators can now track an unlimited number of runners.
- Optimized Spectator Guides: The app’s spectator guide helps fans create an itinerary to navigate New York City, so they’re able to see runners on the course. The shareable guide provides a runner’s estimated times of arrival, along with transportation directions and recommended viewing locations along the course.
- Cheer Cards Presented by Biofreeze: Cheer cards allow fans to support runners using the app to share messages on social media. Additionally, cheer cards will be posted on screens along the course for runners to see their personalized messages.
- Live Pro Athlete Leader Board and Bios: Closely track the race-day leaders in real time, as well as have access to bios, records and images of professional athletes running the race.
- Race Predictor: Based on previous training trends provided by runners, the app will calculate anticipated finishing times for each runner.
- Runner Race Numbers: By scanning the Tata Consultancy Services logo on the top of their race bib with the AR feature of the app, runners can unlock special messages, tips and words of encouragement from 2017 TCS New York City Marathon champion, Shalane Flannagan. Unique messages will appear daily from Thursday, October 31 through Monday, November 4.
- Mural: To excite fans, a giant 16’ x 39’ mural in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at the corner of North 10th Street and Wythe Avenue, was created by Brooklyn-based artist, Adam Koon, to celebrate the iconic course and the city’s five boroughs. AR tags are embedded in the mural, bringing the marathon artwork to life with fun race facts.
- TCS New York City Marathon Program: The mural artwork has also been used on the front cover of the program magazine and will offer the same interactive AR experience for runners and NYRR members.
# # #
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest marathon in the world and the signature event of New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization. The race is held annually on the first Sunday of November and includes over 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to runners of all ages and abilities, including over 9,000 charity runners. Participants from over 125 countries tour the diverse neighborhoods of New York City’s five boroughs—Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan. Race morning also features the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon, a race within Central Park that ends at the marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and 10,000 volunteers line the city’s streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the globally televised broadcast. The race is a founding member of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 49th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 3, 2019. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.