The 9+1 program allows NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon!
Runners completing their 9+1 program toward the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon must have their nine races and one volunteer opportunity completed by December 31, 2019.
* Join NYRR by December 31, 2019 (must have an active NYRR membership by year's end)
* Complete nine scored, qualifying races in 2019
* Volunteer at one NYRR event in 2019 (you do not need to wait until all of your races are complete to volunteer)
* Apply for guaranteed entry to the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon (information available in late 2019)
* Volunteering in 2019 satisfies the volunteering requirement for the 2020 marathon only—not the 2019 marathon.
* Volunteering on race day (November 3, 2019) at the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon does not count toward the 9+1 guaranteed entry requirements.
* Volunteering at a race-week activity (such as the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo Presented by New Balance or the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K) does fulfill your volunteer requirement.
* Volunteering to fulfill your 2020 +1 requirement must be completed by December 31, 2019—no exceptions.
* You may send a substitute to volunteer on your behalf and still meet your 9+1 requirement. The runner needing the +1 credit should register for the volunteer opportunity and the substitute should check in and serve on your behalf on race day. The substitute must be 18 years old or older.
* You are not permitted to volunteer at the same race that you are running. If you attempt to do so, you will not receive credit for volunteering or for the race.
* Most volunteer shifts are 4-5 hours. You must be prepared to help out during the whole shift for which you are scheduled and fulfill your volunteer duties as described. You will forfeit your volunteer credit if you do not complete your service or if you engage in inappropriate behavior.
We highly recommend volunteering in the first half of the year, before you have completed your nine races. We have many volunteer spots available early in the year—especially at our winter races—but spots quickly fill up later in the year as many runners rush to fulfill their requirements by December 31.
Although you are only required to volunteer once, you are encouraged to give back to the NYRR community regularly.
If you have any questions about fulfilling your +1 credit or volunteering with NYRR, or if you'd like to suggest a community partner organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.