Neck & Shoulder Warm-up
A two-part dynamic stretch for the neck muscles and shoulder muscles
Tags: middle school, stretches & strength, dynamic stretches
- Standing tall and relaxed, rotate the shoulders in a big, smooth, circular motion.
- Bring the shoulders back, then up toward the ears, and then forward and down as low as possible.
- Standing tall and relaxed, drop the chin toward the chest, and gently roll the head toward one shoulder in a semicircular motion.
- Roll it back to the front and around to the other shoulder.
- Make big, slow, and fluid movements.
- Relax the muscles that aren't directly involved in these stretches. For example, during the Neck Warm-up, relax the shoulder muscles.
- Don't let the head fall too far backwards, as this can strain the neck and spinal cord.
- Stretch the neck gently.
Duration / Reps: 10 shoulder circles in each direction and 5 neck rolls in each direction
When: During the pre-workout, warm-up routine
- Stretches and relaxes the neck muscles and shoulder muscles