A form exercise that teaches runners to relax their jaw muscles and face muscles
Tags: elementary school, form
- Have kids make a "motorboat" sound by blowing air out of the mouth with vibrating cheeks and lips.
- Then have them "motorboat" while jogging in place.
- The main purpose of the activity is to give kids a tool for recognizing unnecessary tension when they run. Going forward, cue kids to relax their jaws by reminding them of "motorboating."
- Encourage kids to drop their jaws and relax their faces as they blow out through their lips.
- Remind them to relax the shoulders and hands as well.
When: Early in the season and repeated as necessary
- Teaches kids to relax the jaw and face muscles, which can also lead to relaxation of the neck, shoulders and other parts of the body
- Increases body awareness which prevents wasted energy, decreases straining, and promotes more comfortable running