Media availability with 2017 TCS New York City Marathon champions Shalane Flanagan, Geoffrey Kamworor, Manuela Schär and Marcel Hug
Ceremony by New York Road Runners and Abbott World Marathon Majors to donate $50,000 to TCS New York City Marathon official charity partners: American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, U.S. Fund for UNICEF, Save the Children, and Americares
WHEN: 10:30 a.m., Monday, November 6
WHERE: TCS New York City Marathon Finish Line
Central Park, West Drive at 67th Street
WHO: 2017 TCS New York City Marathon Champions and Rising New York Road Runners Invitational Champions
· Shalane Flanagan: The NYRR Team for Kids Ambassador and Olympic medalist became the first American woman to win the New York City Marathon in 40 years.
· Geoffrey Kamworor: The Kenyan claimed his first major marathon victory after finishing as runner-up in New York in 2015.
· Manuela Schär: The three-time runner-up from Switzerland won her first TCS New York City Marathon title in the women’s wheelchair division, her fourth marathon major victory of the year.
· Marcel Hug: The “Swiss Silver Bullet” won his second consecutive and third overall title in the men’s wheelchair division, and his fourth marathon major victory this year.
· Nolan DeFreitas: The 16-year-old from the Archbishop Stepinac school in White Plains was the male winner at the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational.
· Rainn Sheppard: 11-year-old from MS 313K in Brooklyn was the female winner at the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational.
WHAT: Media availability for the four champions at the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon and two champions from the 2017 Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational.
Additionally, New York Road Runners and Abbott World Marathon Majors will donate $50,000 to five official TCS New York City Marathon charities which are providing disaster relief in areas recently affected by storms on behalf of the professional athlete champions in the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon and winners from the 2017 Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational. The donations will be made to TCS New York City Marathon official charity partners American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, U.S. Fund for UNICEF, Save the Children, and Americares, all of which are supporting relief efforts in response to recent natural disasters in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Caribbean, and Mexico.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the premier event of New York Road Runners (NYRR) and the largest marathon in the world. Over 1,000,000 people have finished the race since its first running in 1970 with just 127 entrants and 55 finishers running four laps around Central Park. The race expanded to all five boroughs in 1976 and just celebrated its 40th year as a five-borough affair. Held annually on the first Sunday of November, the race features over 50,000 runners including the world’s top professional athletes and a vast range of competitive, recreational, and charity runners. Participants from approximately 125 countries tour the city, starting on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and running through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx before ending in Manhattan. The NYRR Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon covered 1.8 miles of the race course in Central Park, beginning near mile 24 and finishing at the famed TCS New York City Marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and thousands of volunteers line the city streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the television broadcast in 175 countries and territories, including viewers in the New York area on WABC-TV, Channel 7, nationally on ESPN2, and via various international broadcast partners. The race is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York—and crowns the top professional male and female marathoners each year. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 47th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 5, 2017. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.