There are many ways to get involved.
Volunteering at an NYRR event is the perfect way to give back, connect with your community, and get inspired before your next race!
Here are the top five reasons why you should volunteer today:
1. Earn rewards: When you volunteer, you often get special benefits. Volunteers also get +1 credit toward our 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon (NYRR members only) and a special T-shirt.
2. Connect with us: In your off-season or while you’re recovering from an injury, stay in touch with your fellow runners by volunteering. You’ll get news about the community and updates on what’s happening around NYRR.
3. Meet great people: Among the local standouts, NYRR staff, and other cool people you might not have the opportunity to meet otherwise, you may find your new best friend or meet the love of your life at one of our races!
4. Enjoy the views: Get front-row seats to see running heroes in action when you volunteer on the course. Check out new running trends, products, and offers at our expos. There’s more to running than just our races.
5. Talk shop: Share your love of the sport with others. You can invite your friends, family, and school or community groups to do community service together with you.
We are always looking for new Group Leaders to organize groups of volunteers to help at NYRR races. Volunteer Groups earn guaranteed entries to the following year’s marathon, and have prioritized access to volunteer opportunities in the TCS New York City Marathon and NYRR Five-Borough Series races. Groups include youth groups, schools, service clubs, athletic teams, church groups, alumni groups, companies and more! If you are interested in being a Group Leader at a NYRR Five-Borough Series race or at the TCS New York City Marathon, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 646.758.9727.
Volunteer Leaders are individuals who are interested in greater responsibility at the TCS New York City Marathon. Leaders help check in other volunteers, give orientations, and provide support in the general operations of the event by facilitating a positive volunteer experience. The ideal Volunteer Leader is the first to arrive and last to leave, feels compelled to motivate, engage, and empower volunteers in their area, and serves as an ambassador of the New York Road Runners mission to inspire people through running. If you are interested in being a Volunteer Leader at a NYRR Five-Borough Series race or at the TCS New York City Marathon, please e-mail us at email@example.com or call 646.758.9739.
TCS New York City Marathon
Ten thousand volunteers assist during the marathon and at related events in the week leading up to the race. Opportunities to volunteer at the 2015 TCS New York City Marathon are available now through My NYRR. If you have any questions please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail us if you would like to sign up for our volunteer e-newsletter.
Runners Supporting Runners
Everyone who volunteers will receive a T-shirt, and we often provide additional thank-you gifts. NYRR members who volunteer receive a credit toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon. All volunteer credits for 2014 count toward the 9+1 program.
Youth and Community Services
We count on regular volunteers to encourage and engage with young runners on the course and at our many special events. Becoming a YCS volunteer is a commitment to be involved more than once—but the rewards will be worth it. To learn more about specific YCS volunteer opportunities please visit our Youth and Schools volunteer page.
NYRR members who volunteer with YCS during the calendar year will receive a credit toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon. All volunteer credits for 2014 count toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the 2015 TCS New York City Marathon.
NYRR is committed helping NYC grow and thrive. Community service allows NYRR members to give back by partnering with organizations and helping where we are needed.
Recent service projects have included: