NYRR events truly could not happen without our volunteers! There are many ways to get involved.
Volunteering at an NYRR event is the perfect way to give back, connect with your community, and get inspired before your next race!
Here are the top five reasons why you should volunteer today:
1. Earn rewards: When you volunteer, you often get special benefits. Volunteers also get +1 credit toward our 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon (NYRR members only) and a special T-shirt.
2. Connect with us: In your off-season or while you’re recovering from an injury, stay in touch with your fellow runners by volunteering. You’ll get news about the community and updates on what’s happening around NYRR.
3. Meet great people: Among the local standouts, NYRR staff, and other cool people you might not have the opportunity to meet otherwise, you may find your new best friend or meet the love of your life at one of our races!
4. Enjoy the views: Get front-row seats to see running heroes in action when you volunteer on the course. Check out new running trends, products, and offers at our expos. There’s more to running than just our races.
5. Talk shop: Share your love of the sport with others. You can invite your friends, family, and school or community groups to do community service together with you.
We are recruiting new Team Leaders who will organize groups of volunteers to work at NYRR races. These volunteer teams will have prioritized access to volunteer opportunities in the TCS New York City Marathon and our other large races. Volunteer groups could come from youth groups, schools, service clubs, athletic teams, church groups, or companies. If you are interested in being a Team Leader for any of our upcoming races, the first step is to submit an application, and we'll follow up with more information. E-mail your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 646-737-2261. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
TCS New York City Marathon
Ten thousand volunteers work during the marathon and at related events in the week leading up to the race. The marathon is a success due to the hard work and dedication of our volunteers. Opportunities to volunteer at the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon are available now through My NYRR. If you have any questions please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please e-mail us if you would like to sign up for our volunteer e-newsletter.
Runners Supporting Runners
Everyone who volunteers will receive a T-shirt, and we often provide additional thank-you gifts. NYRR members who volunteer receive a credit toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon. All volunteer credits for 2013 count toward the 9+1 program.
Youth and Community Services
Our Developmental Track and Field Series (DTFS) will soon be stepping up to the start line. DTFS teaches the fundamentals of track and field to New York City public school students for free. Students in grades 3-8 can build running, throwing, and jumping skills through fun, developmental spring meets, in their local borough. We are asking for your assistance to create a fun and safe series for our kids. All DTFS events run during the weekdays from 9:00am to 1:00 p.m. and we have limited volunteer spots available from mid-April to the end of May. Please note a background check must be completed in order to assist in this series and this process takes about a month, so please sign up as soon as possible.
If you are interested please fill out the application provided here, scan it and email it to YCSvolunteers@nyrr.org or fax it to 917-677-8939. Once you fill out the application and provide the needed paperwork outlined in the application, we will e-mail you the dates available to sign up. For more information about the series, please visit our DTFS page here or call us at 646-758-9672.
We count on regular volunteers to encourage and engage with young runners on the course and at our many special events. Becoming a YCS volunteer is a commitment to be involved more than once—but the rewards will be worth it. YCS volunteers have an application process, a formal background check, and orientation.
NYRR members who volunteer with YCS at least three times during the calendar year will receive a credit toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon. All volunteer credits for 2013 count toward the 9+1 program for guaranteed entry to the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon.
NYRR is committed helping NYC grow and thrive. Community service allows NYRR members to give back by partnering with organizations and helping where we are needed.
Recent service projects have included: